Old 01-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
ylc_guy

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Post Game Idea for Aspiring Leaders

Hey Everyone!

I am writing because I am need of some help on my game design. I am currently working on a 6 week long, educational game for people who want to learn more about leadership.

At this point, I have no great ideas about how to make this game fun and engaging. My ideas up to now have focused around a point system and some sort of scoreboard...but that's about it! Sad, I know.

To give you a brief background on the format of my 6 week module...here you go...

The game will last 6 weeks with each week "themed". Each theme will last 5 days (1 work week). At the end of each "themed" week there will be some sort of challenge requiring the user to demonstrated their abilities based on what they learned.

That's about it. Any comments, questions, or concerns would be much appreciated!

If you are still reading this post, thanks and hope to hear from you.
Brian
ylc_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Is this a group game?
A board game or an electronic game?
How long should a play session be?

Last edited by Gshonk : 01-24-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
ylc_guy

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Smile

Thanks for responding so quickly!!!

With regards to your questions....

Is this a group game?

YES (and no)...users will be charged with tasks to be completed throughout the week to be completed on their own (or within the workplace), but ideally will be responsible to other group members as well as paired with them during the end of the week "challenges"

A board game or an electronic game?
Users will receive daily emails with instructions, study materials, etc. to be worked on that day...ideally building towards the end of the week "challenge". Based on how we build the game, I can easily envision a website associated with the game that users can view in order to see a "leaderboard" or access extra information.

How long should a play session be?
How we would like to market this game is; short daily activities/assignments - possibly worth something for completing that last 15 min max. Ideally building towards a slightly more substantial activity/assignment at the end of each weekly "challenge". The entire game should last 6 weeks.

Does that help? Thanks so much for your insight,

Last edited by Gshonk : 01-24-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Are you thinking of something along the lines of an ARG?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game
Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
ylc_guy

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Possibly. I am most concerned with at the moment with how to make the game competitive and/or engaging for people to participate? (i.e. how can I structure it?)
Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Ok, so just a quick rundown of the requirements:

-game has to be educational, with a focus on developing leadership skills.
-at the end of each week there is a challenge relating to a particular theme. During that week players are expected to prepare for the challenge
-the players work on their own, but come together in groups to compete in the challenge.
-the players communicate via email and a website, physical contact should not be necessary

The reason why I asked about the ARG is because a key element of an ARG is that players receive clues they have to piece together in order to advance in the game.

I'm thinking along the lines of each player receives a series of tasks that get rewarded with different parts that need to be assembled for the challenge. With the exception of one task, each task is shared by one or more members on their team. If the members fail to communicate, they will end up having wasted valuable time with parts they don't need.

Say for example the challenge was to build a race car that would race against other groups. Each task would lead to a different piece of the car (a wheel, engine part, etc). Person 1 might have tasks that lead to a steering wheel, wheel and a headlight. Person 2 might have tasks that lead to a steering wheel, a break and an engine. If they don't coordinate properly with each and teammates,they will end up with a car with two steering wheels and no engine.

-the tasks themselves could take the form of puzzles or quizzes they email to the game master (either you or an automated checking system) who then emails a code for a part. At the challenges they then email the codes back to the game master for their parts. Parts could be assembled in a GUI applet manually as part of the challenge or the game master could give them the assembled piece and the challenge is just how they control what they're given.

hope this helps somewhat.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
ylc_guy

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Smile

That helps a great deal! I am meeting with my partner on this project later today and will present your suggestion. I'll get back to you ASAP....

Again, your help is much appreciated!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
ylc_guy

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Your ideas certainly sparked some conversation...below are a few of our thoughts....

1. Can we somehow create a strictly "points" based game that creates a "leaderboard" effect. If so, any thoughts on how that might work?

2. We want the game to resemble more of an incremental climb to the Friday challenge, and really like the idea of quizzes, tasks, etc. Although are thoughts they could be more application based.

3. How can we set it up so users don't have to communicate with us regularly, outside of the Friday Challenge?

I think that's it for now...any insight would be appreciated!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

1) With quizzes, their scores could be automatically uploaded to the leaderboard via script (see #3). Perhaps completing a task reveals the answer to an otherwise impossible quiz question?
2) What types of themes will the challenges be? Application should probably depend on that.
3) The players submit their scores to a special server that runs a grading script which automatically updates the leaderboard based on # of resubmissions and score. I know this can be done because it's essentially how my homework is graded, though I don't know how to do this myself. Note that since this game is new, you'll likely run into all sorts of problems and so players will probably want to contact you outside of Friday challenges regardless.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
ylc_guy

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
1) With quizzes, their scores could be automatically uploaded to the leaderboard via script (see #3). Perhaps completing a task reveals the answer to an otherwise impossible quiz question?

I like the idea of tasks revealing/unlocking the next day's quiz...however, I am still stumped on how to assign point value (100%, 50%) on silly quizzes. Its to much like school...any suggestions on how to assess users in a more engaging and fun way?

2) What types of themes will the challenges be? Application should probably depend on that.

Each week with have a designated leadership oriented theme, and each day of that week will focus either on personal development or application (outside of the Friday Challenge). In this case, application would mean demonstrating the skills they learn about in the workplace and then somehow developing some system to assign a point value to it (i.e. should they develop some sort of reflection artifact?)

3) The players submit their scores to a special server that runs a grading script which automatically updates the leaderboard based on # of resubmissions and score. I know this can be done because it's essentially how my homework is graded, though I don't know how to do this myself. Note that since this game is new, you'll likely run into all sorts of problems and so players will probably want to contact you outside of Friday challenges regardless.

I certainly like the autograding idea. However, as I mentioned in Q1...I am envisioning more of a self-grading or less quantitative way of assessing them and focus more on how they can perform and find some unique way for them to accumulate points based on that performance? Make sense?

Thanks for the help..I really appreciate being able to bounce ideas of you.