Old 05-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
WeTheTwisted

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

I just wanted to throw in my two-cents about some things:

Vagrant Story
The main character isn't a homeless guy, nor is it about fighting other homeless people for scraps of meat from a dumpster. It is about a government agent having his target make him realise the people he (the main character) work for have altered his memories.

To that end, he doesn't know if the family he saw murdered... were even his own. In that regard, with nothing to tie himself down to, he's a wanderer... and therefore a vagrant.

Resident Evil
Whilst yes, the title was much more fitting for a zombie infested mansion, we need to factor in a couple of things:

A) In Japan the series is called Biohazard, the American band (I think) Biohazard has copyrights on the name in the Western territories (or at least... the name is at least unavailable for Capcom to name the games Biohazard in NA/PAL territories).

B) Each game has featured creatures in locations. Therefore... there's a resident evil in each of these places. Whether it's a mansion, inner-city/police station, bio-engineering facilities, freakish Spanish coastal towns, Africa...

So to those that are taking part, I'd totally recommend not to be confined by the title you pick, make the link interesting and you'll hook potential players before they've even seen the game in action.

When you think of the title "Vagrant Story"... if you think of a wanderer... there's so many avenues of thought to be had.

If you think of "Resident Evil", your only constriction is that there has to be an oppressive force somewhere. But it doesn't have to be a physical entity and when you begin to work out such options that are open to you, you have a lot of room to play with.

Final Fantasy, miraculously has XX titles in the series. The original title was Hironobu Sakaguchi's last attempt at making a successful title, so it was his "Final Fantasy". That's probably the most popular example of people thinking a title has little to do with the respective games content, but even then, if you expand your mind to it, each title involves peril of some kind, whether it's one life or many lives and it's all set in fantasy settings.

You're creating universes, don't make the window too small .

</tipsfromarandomnobody>
WeTheTwisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:07 AM   #12
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Edit: Did some last-minute editing, bringing the word count to 509 and making things a little more readable. Just slipping in the submitted version.

Here's my submission, at 515 words; slightly over, but I've trimmed a lot of things down to the point approaching incomprehensibility. No images yet, I'm not sure I'll bother. I might drag out a Warcraft 3 screenshot or something, maybe rig together some kind of unit customization panel to offer little hints at things I had to cut (custom color / emblem art on your units' tabbards, banners and shields, race and unit-specific abilities, etc.)

In my mind, recruiting units was much more in-depth than a traditional RTS, since your troops respawn rather than just get replaced with newly built units. Being able to name them, designate them into fireteams (smaller groups of 2-4 units that can be quickly directed at once), customize their appearance, abilities, and traits... lots of interesting ideas that weren't really core to the challenge but are still fun to tinker with none the less. Perhaps I'll expand on the idea and share the results, similar to what I did with my Simon's Quest submission.

Anyway, here's the submission now. Will probably send it later this afternoon, so any feedback you want to sneak in between now and dinner is appreciated.

------------------------------------------------
World of Warcraft does not actually fit the established Warcraft series; it's an MMORPG instead of a Real-time Strategy game. That is, World of Warcraft is more like Everquest with a fresh coat of paint than an actual Warcraft RTS.

A True World of Warcraft:
Reimagined as a Massive Multiplayer Real-time Strategy (MMO-RTS) game, players control several units at once; by grouping with other players, armies are formed. Players then roam a persistent world, completing quests and attempting to control objectives while competing with enemy players.

Units:
As players progress, they earn Recruitment Points which are used to improve their squad. Players can spend their points in any way, allowing for a vast number of ways to play. Some units are weak, but cheap; others cost multiple points but are more powerful. A wide variety is available, from footmen to siege engines, warlocks to dragons. Advanced units require players to venture into the world, gathering resources and accessing specific structures, similar to traditional RTSs.

Groups:
By joining with other players, unique tactics can be developed to complete quests and objectives. For example, one player may bring several small damage units, another may bring expensive but lethal units, while another brings support units that can heal. Finding interesting ways to work together is part of the fun.

The size of a group is based on active Recruitment Points. For example, if a group is limited to 20 points, two veterans with 10 points each can drop units to allow a newer player with a few points to join. The limits are determined by where players are in the world.

World:
The world itself is divided into several zones, each filled with non-player enemies to defeat, objectives to capture, and towns to defend. Each town has NPC gatherers that steadily gather resources for players to spend building structures. Which structures are built is decided on a first-come-first-serve basis, though limits are in place to keep players from squandering resources. Structures can only be built in specific areas.

Different building strategies can be utilized; Farms can provide better in-town health regeneration and increase the number of gatherers to maximum potential, for example. Players are able to respawn slain units faster if the Barracks are built and upgraded. Towers can provide early warning to players, even those who are not in the immediate vicinity. Like a traditional RTS, there are building and unit dependencies; if you want to recruit a wizard, you need to do it in a town that has built a Mage Tower, for example.

Of course, enemy players will often seek to destroy buildings and slay gatherer units, so constant rebuilding is required.

Objectives:
Each zone has several objectives; controlling key landmarks, slaying non-player enemy leaders, capturing flags or resource nodes are all objectives worth taking. The game is continually changing as both the Horde and Alliance vie to control each zone. Controlling zones allows access to new units, upgrades, structures, or even entirely new zones to play in, as well as bragging rights and individual achievement.

------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Retro : 05-19-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136

Results are live!

http://gamecareerguide.com/features/...me_design_.php
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote