Get the latest Education e-news

Old 05-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831
Default Uml

I am currently in a class where we are learning to document and design our code using UML, and I was wondering what everyone thought of it. Do you use it? Do you like it? Discuss
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

UML Diagrams are a lot more important then you would think. Sure you can go out and make the game then reverse engineer them but you will run into problems along the way.

The goal for us when we create UML diagrams is to plan out how the code is going to work and interact so we can find some of the problems before they occur. And hell it only takes a week or two. (maybe shorter if your only making a small game)

At first I despised them, then I used them in a project and they made everything so much easier. If you get used to making them then you will love yourself for it because you will start using them as your suedo code.

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Thats cool it really does make since that it would just improve the organization of your code. What program do you use? We are using Visual Paradigm 6, the teacher said that he used to use Rational Rose but that there is a bug in one of the features he likes to use in class.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

I do believe that the standard is Microsoft Visio Studio. (sorry if I didn't spell the program correctly) It's whole purpose is to create UML diagrams of al shapes and sizes. It has classes and connectors built in. Though there is a slight difference between what you are taught and what is in the program. Thats the problem with UML diagram Software. The people who write the software are not the ones who created the UML language. Thus there are some minor errors. Mostly like dependencies being solid lines and references being dashed lines with a white arrow. ect All the classes and boxes are correct though.

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #5
Dominia

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

UML was an invaluable resource when working on some of the larger and harder projects in my time at the university. I highly recommend it to anyone of any skill, especially those just starting.

Seeing how objects and class relate to each other alone is a great learning tool for a budding programmer.

Yeah, I used MS Visual Studio as well.

--Jason Hooten
Dominia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 AM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

I do find UML to be extremely useful in planning the design of a system although I rarely use anything more then class diagrams. Since it is universal 'language', any other programmer should be able to look at the diagram and also understand the design.

Personally I find Visio to be too heavy handed and I use UMLet instead which is much quicker to prototype designs.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote