Old 10-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Bgrizzmayne

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default Paths for Game Designer

Hey all-

My ultimate goal is to become a game designer. That's definitely a lofty goal, but a goal nonetheless.

I'm curious about the paths one can take to become a designer. I know that being a designer requires a lot of experience and an immense understanding of all aspects of development.

However, after getting experience in game development and getting educated- I was wondering if it ultimately will matter whether I go down the design path or the programming path. I'm inclined to say that it won't and that it's mainly about my experience/abilities once I get into the industry. But, it's an important to thing to know if my ultimate goal is to be a designer.

Is a programming background a stronger one for a game designer, or would design be stronger?
Bgrizzmayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgrizzmayne View Post
1. I'm curious about the paths one can take to become a designer.
2. I know that being a designer requires a lot of experience and an immense understanding of all aspects of development. However, after getting experience in game development and getting educated- I was wondering if it ultimately will matter whether I go down the design path or the programming path.
3. I'm inclined to say that it won't and that it's mainly about my experience/abilities once I get into the industry.
4. But, it's an important to thing to know if my ultimate goal is to be a designer.
5. Is a programming background a stronger one for a game designer, or would design be stronger?
1. There are an infinite number of paths to designer, Grasshopper. Each man must find his own.
2. Nobody can answer this question for you, Grasshopper. Crystal balls are a myth.
3. Ah! Do you have a crystal ball?
4. Unfortunately, you are seeking to know the unknowable. Perhaps it would be better to follow your passions instead, or to go with probabilities rather than knowing that which cannot be truly known.
5. It depends on you. Which path do you prefer? Have you read FAQ 3? http://www.sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Osmethne

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgrizzmayne View Post
Is a programming background a stronger one for a game designer, or would design be stronger?
The 'design' background could also be the role you played in programming for an existing game, so if programming is your strength, shoot for that.

I don't think any developer hires a 'game designer' that hasn't previously worked on other released games. In light of that, get your foot in the door with whatever is your strong point and make an effort to show your knowledge of game design and project management. "Game Designer" is the dreamed of and idolized position, but it isn't a realistic goal for someone starting out unless they are planning to create their own game. At that point, they can give themselves whatever title they want.