Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
RaptorMoonX

Activity Longevity
1/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18
Unhappy Okay, now I'm REALLY confused as to what game design really is!!

Hello,

I've posted about this before and my questions were answered. However, the community college I go to has really confused me as to what game design really is. I cannot draw (and will never be able to), but everywhere I look, it is a requirement for game design. I have read Tom Sloper's Web site, which was helpful in the past.

The community college I go to does not offer a game design degree, but offered an Interactive Game Programming degree (now removed from the catalogue due to insufficient enrollment). I chose this degree so I could feel as if waiting 4+ years wasn't in vain. I am NOT a programmer and never will be. I hate programming, to be honest. Here is what is confusing to me. The capstone course for the degree I'm trying to accomplish has the following description:

Quote:
ITCS 2895 Interactive Game Programming Capstone (3 Credits)
Prerequisite: ITCS 2010, ITCS 2855 (can be taken concurrently), ITCS 2861 (can be taken concurrently); or permission of instructor

Students will work independently using previously master techniques from all prerequisite courses along with other current industry programming practices to research, design, develop, and implement an autonomous or semi-autonomous competitive system. Topics include budgeting, project scheduling/monitoring/execution, and documentation of the finished project from both a systems and an end-user perspective. The course culminates in a formal presentation in which students will demonstrate both the project and all associated documentation. Students will also utilize software and effective design techniques studied in previous courses and use resources from previous courses as reference material. (7 contact hours: 1 lecture, 6 lab)
Am I wrong in thinking that for this course, all that would be required is the completion and documentation of a game?

Unfortunately, I was informed by the school (awaiting verification to make sure), that this capstone is not offered as an independent study (again awaiting verification to make sure). Because of this, it was suggested by one of the faculty that certain courses be substituted so I can obtain the credit(s). Here are the suggestions (and course descriptions) given:

Quote:
IF there is no independent study available for ITCS2895, my recommendations are as follows
(there was a suggestion #1, but I didn't attempt it since the prereqs for the courses needed included very difficult mathematics courses that I would not have passed)
suggestion #2: ITCS2080 - OR- ITCS2890 (if not already taken)
suggestion #3: GRDS1350 + 1400 + 2150
Course descriptions:

Quote:
GRDS 1010 Visual Organization (3 Credits)
This course introduces students to the various methods and techniques of basic
graphic design. Through exercises using traditional (non-computer) media, it
introduces students to the principles and elements of color and design as they relate
to the two-dimensional surface. (6 contact hours: 6 lab)

GRDS 1015 Typography (3 Credits)
This course introduces students to the history, methods, and uses of typography.
Students will participate in exercises involving both traditional and computerized media
using procedures needed to analyze, choose, and design with the many varieties of
fonts and typefaces. (6 contact hours: 6 lab)

GRDS 1020 Graphic Design (3 Credits)
Prerequisite: GRDS 1010, GRDS 1015, GRDS 1350 (can be taken concurrently) or GRDS 1400
(can be taken concurrently)
This course introduces design students to the procedures used to create advertising
and designs aimed at specific target markets. Students will use both the basics
acquired in the prerequisite courses and new material to design and produce logos,
shopping bags, banners, and other printed materials. (6 contact hours: 6 lab)

GRDS 1350 Computer Graphics AI (3 Credits)
This course provides an introduction to the tools, applications, and uses of Illustrator
software. Students will learn how to use the software through lectures and lab
exercises utilizing scanners, printers, and Macintosh computers. (4 contact hours:
2 lecture, 2 lab)

GRDS 1400 Computer Graphics ID (3 Credits)
This course provides an introduction to the tools, applications, and uses of Adobe
InDesign software. Students will learn how to use the software through lectures and
lab exercises utilizing scanners, printers, and Macintosh computers. (4 contact hours:
2 lecture, 2 lab

GRDS 2150 Package Design (3 Credits)
Prerequisite: GRDS 1020, GRDS 1350, GRDS 1400
Students will learn how to complete documentation requirements for complete and
accurate health records as required by licensing, certifying, and accreditation agencies.
They will develop an understanding of forms design, functions of assembly, analysis,
and abstracting. Students will also learn how to illustrate the flow of health information
in various healthcare delivery systems and within the health information department,
and retrieve data from health records, using professional ethics, confidentiality, and
security of information. The course will also discuss the topics of electronic health
concepts, safety, homeland security, HIPAA, and cost. (5 contact hours: 2 lecture,
3 lab

ITCS 2080 Fundamentals of Software Engineering (3 Credits)
Prerequisite: ITCS 1810 or ITCS 1820 or ITCS 1840, ITCS 2010; or permission of instructor
This course introduces the basic principles and concepts of software engineering and
provides the necessary foundation for subsequent SE courses at the upper division
level. Topics include: basic terminology and concepts of software engineering; system
requirements, modeling, and testing; object oriented analysis and design using UML;
frameworks and APIs; client-server architecture; user interface technology; and the
analysis, design, and programming of simple servers and clients. (4 contact hours:
2.5 lecture, 1.5 lab) (This course is most likely going to be cancelled due to insufficient enrollment and I was told it would be very, very, very, very difficult to take as an independent study)

ITCS 2870 Data Structures (4 Credits)
Prerequisite: ITCS 1820, MATH 2500; or permission of instructor
This traditional computer science course introduces students to advanced data
structure concepts including objects and inheritance, algorithm analysis, recursion,
stacks, queues, lists, randomization, trees, sorting and searching, hash tables, and
graphs and paths. (6 contact hours: 2 lecture, 4 lab) (Offered Fall only)

ITCS 2875 Computer Architecture and Organization (3 Credits)
Prerequisite: ITCS 2870, ITON 1011, MATH 2500; or permission of instructor
This course provides a study of the principles of Von Neumann computer architecture,
data representation, and memory addressing as well as processor organization and its
impact on system and application software. It also includes discussion and utilization
of assembly language and computer processor simulators. (5 contact hours: 1 lecture,
4 lab) (offered spring only)

ITCS 2890 PC Enterprise Programming Capstone (5 Credits)
Prerequisite: ITCS 1810, ITCS 1820, ITCS 1840, ITCS 2010, any 2 of, ITCS 2810 or ITCS 2820
or ITCS 2840; or permission of instructor
This course serves as the capstone to the PC Enterprise Programming Concentration
by providing students with practical experience that integrates previously studied
skills and concepts. Students will use any two of the C#, Java, and Visual Basic
programming languages in a Microsoft Windows .NET environment to design and
implement an enterprise computer application. (11 contact hours: 2 lecture, 9 lab) (my co-worker took this course 3 times and failed it each time; he's a super techie guru so I figure if he can't pass it, I don't have a chance -_-)

ITON 1011 Comparative Analysis of Microcomputer Operating Systems (2 Credits)
Prerequisite: ITIS 1005 or MECT 1000 or permission of instructor
This course provides an overview of the current production releases of the Microsoft
Windows, Linux, and Macintosh operating systems, comparing and contrasting them
from the standpoint of operating system functionality and implementation specifics.
It includes basic information about installation, upgrading, file system organization,
security, network connectivity, network-based resource sharing, and standard
operating and maintenance procedures. (3 contact hours: 1.5 lecture, 1.5 lab)

MATH 1700 Trigonometry (3 Credits)
Prerequisite: MATH 1650 or placement test
This course includes the study of trigonometric functions and inverse trigonometric
functions and their graphs; solutions of right and oblique triangles and their applications;
solutions of trigonometric equations and inequalities; the use of identities, vectors,
and complex numbers; and solutions of polar equations and parametric equations.
Students must supply a graphing calculator. (3 contact hours)

MATH 2500 Calculus and Analytical Geometry I (5 Credits)
Prerequisite: MATH 1700 or placement test
This is the first course in a three-semester sequence study of differential and integral
calculus for students majoring in mathematics, science, or engineering. Topics include
limits and continuity, the derivative, differentiation, the differential, the indefinite integral,
the definite integral, and applications. Students must supply a graphing calculator.
(5 contact hours
Math and art are either weak or impossible for me, so right now I just don't know what to do. Is this really necessary for what I'm trying to accomplish? -_-
Old 01-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1849

I'm not reading all that stuff!
Look. The industry is very clear on what "game design" is. The fact that some school lumps other things under that category does not negate the definition of the term.

As for your questions about that school's offerings:
1. YOU decide what courses YOU want to take.
2. If you have questions about a course, ASK THE SCHOOL.

And in future, it's better to keep your posts shorter and it's best not to paste in huge chunks from elsewhere. You're asking for help, and we're willing to help, but you're asking too much when you give us a wall of junk to read and think about so you don't have to. http://www.sloperama.com/advice/entry65.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
RaptorMoonX

Activity Longevity
1/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

Sorry about that Mr Sloper! I just wanted to be thorough. I could repost this if a mod/admin deletes this post. ^^;;
Old 01-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1849

You can edit your own posts, but you might as well leave it as is now that it's a thread-starter.
So: Do you still have a question, given the "how to ask a good question" concepts in that link? Maybe that's the wrong school, if they're misrepresenting what "game design" even is.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote