Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Other > Other/Off-Topic
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
MattP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15
Default What are five of your favorite games?

Notice: Not Top 5, just give 5 of your favorite.

My favorite are probably (1) Mega Man X (SNES/PSP), (2) Beyond Good & Evil (XB/PS2/GC), (3)Psi-ops: The Mindgate Conspiracies (XB/PS2/GC), (4)Dead or Alive 3 (Japanese Version, XB), and (5)Fatal Frame III: The Tormented (PS2).

I found Mega Man X to be one of my favorite Mega Mans, I played that game so much I actually have been close to beating the speed-run by 5 minutes. The storyline was great as well as the enhances to the Mega Man series: armor collecting, character designs (more adult), and stage designs forcing you to come back to certain levels. You also couldn't forget about using Ryu's Hadoken

Beyond Good & Evil was a really good game. I enjoyed the art design, the polished graphics, the storyline, the music, and all the characters. I don't know why it didn't sell well, probably due to bad marketing and/or mainstream don't want to be playing as a female freelance journalist.

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracies I had a lot of fun playing with the physics. You could move anything not "nailed" down. Levitate an enemy and pump him full of lead. Levitate him and throw him into a furnace. Levitate any object and send it crashing into an enemy. You also had the ghost mode to go through locked doors and possess enemies to take out their own comrades. The saddest part is the cliffhanger ending. Where they expected this game to sell so well they were going to continue the story with a movie and then the sequel to the movie be a game. Guess it just goes to show, don't plan on your game succeeding. I don't think anyone knows the exact reason as to why this game didn't sell like hotcakes. It was marketed a lot when it came out. I do know there is one game-breaking glitch at the 3rd to last boss where the nitrogen tanks don't appear to take her out.

Dead or Alive 3 (Japanese Version). Also called DOA3.1. This game was the first time in a long while that I felt DOA had a breath of fresh air. It had many things that I enjoyed from other fighting games as well as putting them into my favorite fighting game series. You had to know your characters and your opponent's character in order to survive in that game. With the addition of frame advantage and an actual side-stepping system I fell in love with it. It's still the best music track I have experienced in the DOA series. DOA4 came out and went a different way than DOA3 so I'm not too into that. Sadly, DOA3.1 had Hayate's Cartwheel avoid nearly everything due to the Sidestep system, but was fixed in the European Version (3.2) with the negative affect of nerfing the sidestep system at the same time. DOA3 will always have a place in my heart and it saddens me that I won't be able to get that game play experience in future installments.

Fatal Frame III: The Tormented. I enjoyed the hell out of the entire Fatal Frame series. The biggest reason this isn't picked up is because "you fight ghosts with a camera?!". Mainstream want guns and explosions, simple as that. But since guns and explosions are really missing (and really won't work on ghosts, just zombies) the team Project Zero do a good job with atmosphere and ambiance. There are times when I didn't want to run in fear of a ghost attacking me. The camera experience provides a great balance to gameplay. You see, you have to focus in on the ghost, who's telporting around and trying to attack you. You can't treat the camera like a gun and pick off shots from a distance. You are rewarded for more damage the longer you have the ghost in your lens vision. Also you are rewarded with the "Fatal Frame Shot" at the moment they are attacking you. This gives you a dual-experience. You won't survive and you'll waste film just picking off shots. You're rewarded for waiting for THE moment the ghost jumps you. Bringing that sense of tension in every battle, trying not to pull the shutter while wanting to pull the shutter. I really enjoy the whole series but III took the best from II and I. But you need to play I and II in order to get the full experience of III.
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #2
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Ok so not of all time just five favorites. Hmmm. 1. Deus Ex 2. Half Life 1 & 2 3. Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind 4. Metal Gear Solid 2 5. The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past.

1. What to say about Deus Ex it had everything and was super innovative. The storyline and characters were very intriguing, by using popular conspiracy theories I think it really made the story hit close to home no matter what it was they were talking about. The game play was amazing letting you do things how ever you wanted while still being in a near linear fashion. I loved the mix of melee and ranged weapons and the character upgrading was amazing. All in all the combination of story and settings just made it great.

2. Wow the half life series do I really need to say anything. These games are great because you ARE Gordan Freeman, I don't think any other game really makes you believe that you are a character so well. The way that they progress the storyline and keep the player doing things is just great. I mean in the beginning of HL2 when you are in the apartment and the combine are attacking you start to panic and run just like everyone else and when you get caught you thought you failed at the game only to feel complete joy when Barney walks in the room. Causing the player to feel an emotion is the greatest accomplishment in a game.

3 Morrowind lets just say i wasted my high school years on this game. The game advertised 400hrs+ game play and it actually lived up to this. All these years later i still go back and play it and find new things. Granted the combat got a little boring and there were alot of glitches and cosmetic faults but the ability to do WHATEVER you want was just amazing. Plus the wealth of information with the books and all just made it spectacular. (I love Oblivion also)

4. Metal Gear 2. 3 words Storyline, gameplay, SNAKE. Although most of the game you played as Raiden (BLECH) this game was so amazing the story was so compelling the graphics some of the best on the PS2 ever and the music just set the tone. Besides who doesn't like sneaking around in a box. Also this game has so of the most compelling and dynamic characters ever.

5. Zelda this was one of the first games I truly fell in love with. I got excited every time I booted it up or heard the music. It might be my favorite of the franchise. I loved the differences in both of the worlds in the future and the present and i thought it had some of the best items acquisition test ever.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
fullmetal84

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Ogre Battle 64, Winning Eleven 8(PC), Super Smash Bros. Melee, Resident Evil 4(GC)

Ocarina of Time was the pinnacle of storytelling for me. It was superbly constructed. It has an epic feel all the way throughout, with a great story that really drew me in and kept me coming back over and over. The characters were memorable, the gameplay is still solid in todays market, and the production values are way up there. This game really solidified the purchase of a nintendo 64...so much so that I bought the Master Edition disk for gamecube because I couldn't find my old cartridge anymore. Definately one of the best of all time.

Again, the epic titles draw me in. I got sucked into Ogre Battle because of the vastness of it. There are so many combinations and possibilities; characters can become either lawful or chaotic, which determine what kinds of upgrades will be available for them. Multiple branching storylines allow for replays with minimal repitition, and there are just so many character classes. It definately makes you strategize who to keep in your army with the limited space available. This is another game that brought me back for more playthroughs. As you can tell, I'm a sucker for large scale, epic storylines.

On a lighter note, I'm also a huge soccer fan, and I have thoroughly enjoyed Winning Eleven. Although there aren't many licensed teams/names, the core gameplay is where all the meat is. For a while, the difficulty setting made it feel like I had to actually play near flawless games to stand a chance against some of the bigger clubs. And even now, I still get humbled in some games where it seems I should blow out my opponent. No matter how much I move away to other games, I always find myself coming back when the soccer season kicks off again. I said PC version because thats what I have, but I actually use a Playstation controller, so I guess it goes either way.

This is definately a party game. When you're playing against 3 human opponents, this can be one tense and hectic battle game. The variation is nice and allows for anyone to really have a chance to win, especially with all of the wildcards thrown in. I recommend this to people who enjoy frantic, fast-paced multiplayer fighting games.

This was on of the best games available for the gamecube...period. The visuals provided a nice surprise, but the gameplay and story were top-notch. I stayed away from previous Resident Evil games because the controls sucked pretty hard, but these controls work really well and don't detract from the experience at all. The atmosphere and mood in this game are spot on and have gotten in my head on more than one occasion. This is another one of the games that had extremely high production values, and it surely shows through.
fullmetal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
jiuptars

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

My five favorite games those gives me lots of entertainment and keeps my brain in active mode:

Gears Of War by Microsoft.

Madden NFL 07 by Electronic Arts.

Call of Duty 3 by Activision.

Need for Speed Carbon by Electronic Arts.

NBA 2K7 by 2K Sports.
jiuptars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
blacksolar2

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

My five favorite games those gives me lots of entertainment are:
Dungeon Siege I & II
The King of Fighters
CEO
CS
Red Alert
blacksolar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:12 AM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Metroid Prime & Super Metroid
Super Mario 64
Zelda OoT
Streetfighter 3: Third Strike
Ikaruga
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
Motion

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Super Mario RPG - SNES

Socom FTB - PSP

Metal Gear Solid (All of them lol) - Multiple Systems

Legend of Zelda OOT - N64

and the classic .. SPACE INVADERS!!! (i love this game) - arcade

i like many others but these are the first five to come to mind
Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
happyhourj2

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default top 5 games

For me my top 5 i really focused on the games that i enjoyed playing and made me happy to play

Legend of zelda: ocarina of time.

superstar soccer

tony hawk series

Battlefield 2

world of warcraft

Legend of zelda is one of the most fun games to boot. Amazing story and score make me beat this at least once a year.

superstar soccer is not very well known i guess. Just like all the fifa games but i never got into fifa like i did this for some reason.

even though they are not very realistic i spent months playing these games with my brother. If you wake up early for school and play the game just to get extra progress toward the next level you have to put it in ur top 5. I love all the soundtracks especially the first 2.

Battlefield 2 really brought me into competitive gaming when i joined clans and play cal leagues. As long as i dont take losing too badly i could always have fun playing this game.

Alot of people dont like wow. Alot do. I never let it consume my life but this is just a super entertaining game. It really is. It's so massive and allowed me to continue with the lore that i love about the warcraft series. Alot of people wont even try it because they see WoW as uncool or for geeks and nerds. Too bad some people wont give it a try.
happyhourj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Red_5

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

1. Zelda Ocarina of Time
2. Star Fox 64
3. Perfect Dark
4. Star Wars galaxies
5. cant remember, going to play my N64 now

Red_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:51 AM   #10
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Only five?...ummmm...

1) Xenogears

In terms of storyline and immersive content, this is proberbly the best JRPG ever made. I'm not the biggest fan of large robots blowing each other up, outrageous manga-style hand-to-hand, and the gameplay would be considered archaic by todays standards. However, the constant setbacks, twists and discoveries made throughout the extremely long life of the game more than make up for it. Furthermore, the introduction sequence seems to make no sense until 3/4 through the game. This creates an incredible insentive to play, just to find out.

2) Starcraft

It was a close call between Starcraft and CnC. Although, it has to be Starcraft because I can still play the original today and have as much fun at a LAN as a CnC Tiberium Wars match. This is quite possibly the most well balenced RTS out there, and is incredibly fun to play.

3) Master of Orion

I just love this game. It's cheesy, I get to build a massive empire, and the Stellar Converter (read: Death Star Laser) is so much fun to use. It is simply, awesome.

4) The Orange Box

Hehehe, I cheated here because I love both Half-Life and Portal. Both are amazing concepts.

5) G-Police

The first game I got for my Playstation. Quite possibly, my favourite fly-around shooter.

With honourable mentions for Peggle Extreme because it is an extremely addictive casual game I play occasionally, in addition to the Final Fantasy and DragonQuest series' because I really enjoy JRPGs
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote