Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
Diaphero

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Resume and Portfolio Critique Wanted

Hey everyone! I am just getting ready to send out my resume to a bunch of different game companies. But before I do, I would like your input on if there are ways I can improve it! Let me know what you think.

Thanks in Advance!

Jesse Carpenter
CG Artist

Portfolio: jessecarpenter.carbonmade.com

Resume: Here is Pg 1:

And here is Pg 2

Last edited by Diaphero : 05-08-2011 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Added web url
Old 05-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

I am 50/50 about the resume as its appeal will greatly depend on who is looking at it. Me, I quite like it. For some in HR or a recruiter, they may dismiss it as it isn't something that is easily readable.

The work in the Portfolio is really good though. Missing a link to your resume though.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
nightblue

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss19

I was once advised to never rate how proficient you are on each software. Since all of us rank things slightly differently, those numbers (1= novice and 10= master) do not provide much information at all, other than possibly inspiring second-thoughts like "oh, but his UDK skill isn't as good." Just list your softwares and leave them be.

You are taking a risk here and readability might be an issue. You may want to consider attaching a more plain and informative copy of your resume as well, at the end of this resume.

Another minor comment about your portfolio site - your "portfolio" button graphic looks like the header of the website. When I tried to click on your portfolio I ended up clicking the hand-drawn image banner under it, which took me to "a deeper look" - obviously not intended for first-impression. Consider putting your text on the graphic for your buttons.

Lastly, consider replacing the checkerboard shot after your first render with just a wireframe + poly count. I understand that you may be using textures of different sizes, but at first glance I think of "stretched textures, uneven UV distribution, different pixel density - what's up with this?" Instead of providing any information that sells your piece, this shot may inspire a sliver of doubt, and you could do better without it.

Good work and good luck!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
LMP

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss17

Interesting... Your resume as a piece of graphic and UI design looks cool, but, for actual use I would go with something more clean, readable, and professional.

Now onto your artwork.

You need to focus your portfolio. Your 3 environments at the beginning of your portfolio look good, but I wish I could see them larger, and that there were breakdowns somewhere other than in your reel.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:29 AM   #5
MiamiLawyer

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I think it looks pretty darn creative, Jesse!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:17 AM   #6
SamJenks

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightblue View Post
You are taking a risk here and readability might be an issue. You may want to consider attaching a more plain and informative copy of your resume as well, at the end of this resume.
I think this is spot on.

You want to creatively/visually express your talents, Jesse, to layer the presentation; but, its likely to get passed around and I think you'll want to cater to several sets of people.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Terry2361

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Red face Feedback

I really like your work and think that you will just keep getting better. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing more.
Closed Thread