Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #11
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Okay, something needs to be done about whatever automation system is deleting or moving posts. I am having to rewrite replies because it constantly decides to delete my posts for no discernible reason, even ones without URLs.

On that note, do any of the moderators actually have any posts to validate? Or are they straight out deleted/ignored?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 AM   #12
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Default Posts disappearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoc10 View Post
I'm a bit disturbed by the fact that you don't know for sure.

I don't know anything about running a forum, but I propose a new system:

Perhaps posts with URLs embedded in the could be deleted until a member has 10 or more posts. Most spammers are bots, or do not have the patience to make multiple posts before creating spam topics. It keeps the same spam defenses, but prevent the post-deletion problem in contributing members.
Let me just quickly clarify what it is I do here: I'm the "editor" of this site, meaning I handle all the written content that's on the site. My background is in editing and writing, though I have experience as the managing editor of Game Developer magazine (hence, I know about the professional game dev industry).

I actually don't know a whole lot about how this forum works. Things like that are managed by the tech support and web department of company I work for. All I can do is let them know when problems happen and hope that those problems are a high enough priority for the department to take action.

Technology is a bit imperfect, I know. I do appreciate that you all are enthusiastic enough about this site and forum to openly discuss the problems we have and suggest solutions. Thank you for that!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #13
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoc10 View Post
I'm a bit disturbed by the fact that you don't know for sure.

I don't know anything about running a forum, but I propose a new system:

Perhaps posts with URL embedded in the could be deleted until a member has 10 or more posts. Most spammers are bots, or do not have the patience to make multiple posts before creating spam topics. It keeps the same spam defenses, but prevent the post-deletion problem in contributing members.
I don't think that this is an issue that revolves around making it harder for spam bots. I have been deleting spam bots a lot in the off topic posts. If this feature is in the forums it is not included in the off topic thread. However I have started to Ban obvious spam bots with no warning. In the past I gave them the chance to reply to a personal message and physically removed their posts.

On another note I have not received an approval from moderator request yet. There must still be some kinks to work out. I would suggest using the good old copy paste method into note pad and back up your posts in case they do get deleted. This will work for the mean time until this issue is resolved.

Thanks for your understanding,

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote