Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
MattP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15
Default Have you joined the VGVN?

A question sent out on the ESRB's last president that offered little response. I'm wondering how many people here have signed up for the Video Game Voters Network.

http://www.videogamevoters.org

Quote:
The Video Game Voters Network exists to empower Americans who play video games to take action against threats to this entertainment medium and to stay informed about the latest issues that could affect our choice in video game entertainment. Video games are a modern form of entertainment entitled to the same creative and free speech protections afforded by the US Constitution to older media such as movies, music, and books. So join the Video Game Voters Network and speak up for games and gamer rights.
Quote:
In the past year, Michigan, Illinois, and California have all passed laws to ban the sale of certain video games to minors. So far, courts have blocked these laws from taking effect. But anti-video game forces are pressing forward. Gamers must stand up now and take action. Government does not regulate access to or the sale of movies, books or cable TV, and it should not regulate video games.

The computer and video game industry has a widely praised self-regulatory system including Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) ratings, advertising and marketing restrictions, parental education, and console manufacturers are now introducing parental control features that will be available in the next generation consoles. Moreover, every major retailer has a policy to ask for ID before selling games to minors. The effect of legislation seeking to regulate games would stifle constitutionally-protected creativity in a medium that is at the cutting-edge of innovative entertainment.
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
MattP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss15

I guess it's the same here as the conference. Interesting.
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2256

It seems to be US only, so that counts a fair few out (including me). If you look at the members list of this forum, you find that there are only a dozen (if that) frequent users.

Post on GameDev, you may get a different response.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
jslade8581

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

I'd never heard of this organization before. After rooting around the website, and liking what I saw, I signed up.

I think it's a great idea. It's always saddened me that most of the video game "education" people receive is from the sensationalist-type comments made by public figures and reported by our major news media.

Maybe this will motivate some of our representatives to speak out against the ignorance regarding video games.