Get the latest Education e-news

Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831
Default Website

So everything I have been reading/hearing from HR people and other people hiring in the industry is "Have a website". My question is who here has one and can you offer any suggestions on: getting one, setting it up, and anything else. I've never actually set up a website I helped code/design (mostly design) one but it never went up on the web. Any advice?
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Thumper_34

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss59
Default Pickles of War

I have one, Im in the process of "remodeling" it. Took my portfolio off and everything, but still got the jist of it
www.picklesofwar.com
check out my new banner too, www.picklesofwar.com/background.jpg

It's all about being able to show your demo reel online, you need streaming video for your demo so alot of hr people would rather just go on a website than have to mail your cd to them.
Thumper_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:01 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2246

I just made my website myself in Notepad and nicked some webspace off a friend. In the worse cases, I ran a web server from home on my broadband connection. You already have a Blog, you can create pages in Wordpress for your portfolio there easily.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Alright here is the beginnings of my site. Feel free to comment and let me know how to improve it. http://grantshonkwiler.com/
Old 01-18-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2246

"Hello I am Grant Shonkwiler and I am a video game programmer with an interest in design and production. I am currently finishing up my bachelors degree at Full Sail in Orlando Florida. Check out some of the games I have made in projects. Check out an article I wrote at"

Sounds cheesy and stiff. The 'Hello' is not really needed and you have a lot of duplicated words at the beginning of your sentences. I.E 'I am' and 'Check'

I would write it:

"My name is Grant Shonkwiler and I am a video game programmer with an interest in design and production. Currently, I am finishing up my Bacholors degree at Full Sail in Orlando Florida.

You can find some of my projects from the menu on the left of this page. I have also written an article about being a student at Full Sail school which is published at <a href="insert link here">GameCareer.com</a>."

Also, I would remove the OpenGL demo. It doesn't demonstrate anything. There are no special lighting effects, shadows, shaders, material properties, etc.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1461

This is a good idea - so I started on one too ^^

I just indoctrinated one of my old php sites, in order to make it a bit easier to update, so excuse the broken dynamic content for now. I am also aware that some of the games don't work at the moment, but I think that's because I just ported the application versions into applets.

It's at www.adrir.com, do you think adding stuff like writing my own articles would be worth while? I do alot of tutoring anyway so might be an idea
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Cool thanks I'll fix that later. And I just have the Opengl demo up there as a filler till I finish getting my other projects up.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2246

Not really unless they are really good or relevant to your projects. I hosted things like reports from assignments and storyboards that is on my portfolio.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

I also put up that opengl project because thats been the one thing i have done by myself in 3d. If you notice all of my projects are 2d. So I think I'll leave that up until I get my other 3d stuff up. But I fixed the other stuff.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
fullmetal84

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

you seem to have a pretty good start on that site. However, if you arent too far along into it, I have my site created through a site called webclickgo.com. They have a good bit of modification potential, and they allow you to have a site(with limited space, however), with domain included, for free, and offer subscriptions as well. Now that I see other people with sites listed here, maybe I could get some critiques, too? If anyone is interested in visiting, check out jmanafi.webclickgo.com, and let me know what you think.

Like some of the sites in here, it is a work in progress.

Thanks,
Jonathan
fullmetal84 is offline   Reply With Quote